Services Provided by the Practice
The practice provides services under a Standard General Medical Services Contract with Lothian NHS Board.
The practice provides a full range of Essential Services including the care of patients who have acute or chronic illnesses, and health promotion.
We offer a full range of Additional Services including:
- Cervical screening
- Contraceptive services
- Child Health Surveillance
- Maternity Care
- Minor surgery
In addition we offer the following Enhanced Services:
- Childhood vaccinations and immunisations
- Other immunisations such as Influenza and pneumococcal vaccination
- Anti-coagulation monitoring
- Intra-uterine contraceptive device fitting
- Minor injury services
- Near patient testing
- Lithium monitoring
- Care of patients in certain nursing and residential homes
- Minor surgery enhanced services - including toenail surgery, removal of skin lesions and cysts and joint aspiration and injection
Please note that the practice is not currently contracted to provide care for drug addicts as an enhanced service.
Chronic Disease Management
We provide monitoring and care for patients with a wide range of chronic diseases, including Asthma, COPD, Diabetes, Thyroid problems, Blood Pressure and Cardiovascular Risk Management, Ischaemic Heart Disease. In addition, we share in the monitoring and care of patients with other chronic conditions such as arthritis, epilepsy and mental health problems. We also work with the district nursing team and other agencies to provide care in your own home for those who require this.
If you have any particular concerns about your health you should discuss these with the doctor or nurse who will arrange any appropriate investigations.
In addition the following routine checks are offered by the practice:
- Children under 5 are invited for regular checkups in line with national and local guidelines for child surveillance.
- We continue to invite those aged 75 or over for an annual check-up at the Health Centre or, if required in your own home.
- All newly registered patients are offered a health check appointment with our practice nurse.
- Routine health checks for those aged between 16 and 75 are available on a 3 yearly basis to those who request them.
We provide a full range of contraceptive advice. Please ask the doctor or practice nurse for advice. Alternatively you may prefer to make use of the Family Planning Clinic which is run in the Health Centre fortnightly - contact community reception (Tel 01506 836321) for details.
All Doctors provide full antenatal and postnatal care in conjunction with the Midwife.
The following services are available within the Health Centre by referral:
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Psychiatric Nurse
- You can arrange appointments for the following yourself by contacting the Community Desk (01506 836321)
- The Citizens Advice Bureau
The Citizens Advice Bureau normally operates a weekly Advice Clinic in the health centre on Friday mornings. The service is currently suspended until building alterations are complete.
However, you can still arrange appointments by calling 01506 432977.
The Practice run the following clinics:
Minor Operations Clinic
Tuesday mornings - once or twice a month dependent on demand
Coil Fitting & Removal Clinic
Wednesday andThursday mornings
Child Health Surveillance and Post Natal Visit Clinics
Thursday and Friday
Vaccinations & Immunisations
Our childhood immunisation clinic is held on a Thursday afternoon and is run by our Health Visitor Team - appointments are sent to you from St John's Hospital.
Due to an increase in workload we are no longer able to offer travel assessments at the practice.
We can advise that there are a number of private providers in the area who offer this service:
Omnicare Uphall – Tel 01506 857516
Travel Clinic, Western General Hospital – 0131 278 3007
Please note that responsibility for providing immunisation for occupational reasons lies with your employer/occupational health department.